“We are working for a more balanced,
accessible and sustainable transport system.”
Head of Department for EU Investments
He was born in Aydın in 1971. He attended primary, secondary and high school in Aydın. He had completed his graduate and post-graduate studies at the Department of Mining Engineering in the Middle East Technical University. He had worked as an English teacher at the Ministry of National Education between the years 1996-1999. From 1999 to 2014, he had worked at the Directorate General of State Hydraulic Works as an engineer. He had started his environmental studies at Directorate General of State Hydraulic Works and pursued his studies at the European Union and International Relations Unit and Relations with European Union Branch Office, which was established in 2005. Within the years 2005-2013, he worked on the following issues;
- National and International Environmental Legislation,
- International Conventions on Environment and Water Issues,
- Climate Change,
- European Union and Acquis Communautaire,
- European Union Accession Studies (within the context of Environment, Energy and Agricultural Parts),
- Preparation, Implementation and Coordination of European Union and International Projects,
- Administrative and Technical Evaluation Committee Works for Projects Realised by Central Finance and Contracts Units,
- Bidding, Implementation and Monitoring Process of Projects Subject to European Union PRAG Rules.
He had worked on International Hydrological Activities and Foreign Affairs issues between the years 2013-2014 at the Directorate General of State Hydraulic Works. He had attended to many national and international meetings, seminars, congress, workshops, trainings and field works.
Nedim Yeşil was appointed as the Head of Department for European Union Investments within the Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs, and Communications, Directorate General for Foreign Relations and European Union Affairs, on 9 June 2014. He is married with 2 children and has a good command of English.
The Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications (MoTMC) prepared the Transport Operational Programme with the objective of managing the funds provided to the transport infrastructure investments in the framework of the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA). The European Commission approved the Programme on 7th December 2007 and the MoTMC was designated as the Programme Authority.
Together with the Ministerial Approval dated 15th May 2007 related to the implementation of the TOP, an IPA Implementation Unit comprising of three sub-units was established within the MoTMC. The IPA Coordination and Implementation Unit was accredited with the decision of the European Commission dated 23rd July 2009 with the exception of tender, contract management and financial management functions. Thereafter, the MoTMC, which has been accredited with the tendering, contract management and financial management functions with the decision of the European Commission dated 12th November 2012, was designated as the Transport OP Contracting Authority.
The MoTMC IPA Coordination and Implementation Unit was restructured under the name of Department for European Union Investments with the Ministerial Approval, on 5th December 2011. Currently, the Department for EU Investments is composed of six sub-units, which are Programming, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, Procurement Unit, Contract Management Unit, Financial Management Unit, Quality Assurance and Control Unit, Technical Assistance and Human Resources.
Turkey and European Commission has signed IPA Framework Agreement for the financial assistance regarding the European Union’s budget period of 2007-2013, in the framework of the financial cooperation between Turkey and European Union, and it has been published on the Official Gazette Numbered 2008/14450 dated 19.12.2008. According to Article 6 (f) of the IPA Framework Agreement, the establishment of program authorities for each component or program and the appointment of its officials has been committed by our country. Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure (MoTI) has been identified as responsible institution for the preparation and implementation of the Transport Operational Program with Prime Minister Circular No: 2011/15. MoTI has carried out it’s duties as Operating Structure throughout IPA I period. MoTI has been performing its duties as Operating Structure during European Union’s 2014-2020 financial assistance period (IPA II) as well.
As stated in the framework agreement dated 11 February 2015 on the arrangements for implementation of financial assistance to the Republic of Turkey by the union within the framework of Instrument for Pre-Acession (IPA II) and updated with the Presidential Circular No. 2019/20, our department as a Multi-Annual Programming Authority performs the following tasks:
Within the framework of the relevant national legislation and the acquis of the European Union; preparation and implementation of the Transport Sectoral Operational Programme; selection and evaluation of the projects and activities to be financed,
Programming, procurement and contract management, carrying over the projects and activities, control of completed projects and activities, payment, accounting and associated control, monitoring and evaluation after impementation, as well as transmission of the necessary information, documents and reports to the relevant institutions and authorities, especially to the National IPA Coordinator (NIPAC) and National Authorising Officer(NAO), within the specified period of time,
Establishment of the institutional structure and capacity required to perform programming, monitoring and evaluation, technical implementation, quality control, procurement, finance, contract, payment, accounting and reporting functions in accordance with the rules and standards of the European Union,
Signature of operational agreements regulating duties, authorities and responsibilities related to matters delegated to the end recipient (ERA) institution/organization.
In this respect, our department fullfils the following duties and responsibilities:
- Carrying out the functions of the Programme Authority, responsible for the management of the funds provided by the European Union in the field of transport infrastructure,
- Preparing the annual or multi-annual Transport Operational Programmes,
- Having prepared the necessary documents concerning the quality monitoring of the Operational Programme implementation; thus guiding the Sectoral Monitoring Committee works,
- Preparing the Annual Sectoral and Final Performance Reports and submitting them to the related institutions,
- Selecting the projects concerning investments and activities to be supported in the framework of the Transport Operational Programme,
- Organizing the tenders concerning investments and activities supported in the framework of the Transport Operational Programme in accordance with the European Union acquis, international agreements and other related legislation,
- Concluding the contracts concerning investments and activities supported in the framework of the Transport Operational Programme in accordance with the European Union acquis, international agreements and other related legislation; realising the implementations, controls and monitoring,
- Making the payments concerning projects supported in the context of the Transport Operational Programme and keeping their accounts,
- Assuring the selection of operations to be financed, as well as their approval in accordance with the criteria and methods applicable to programmes and providing their conformance to the Community legislation and national legislation,
- Making rules concerning the maintenance of all the documents for providing an appropriate audit trail,
- Organizing the tender and grant procedures, the contracts concluded subsequently, the payments to be made to final beneficiaries and the reimbursements of the payments made when necessary,
- Providing a separate accounting system or a separate accounting code for all the units that are integrated in the implementation of the Operations that are carried out,
- Providing all kinds of necessary information concerning the National Fund and National Authorising Officer, expenditure procedures and verifications,
- Establishing a reporting and information system and ensuring its sustainability and relevance,
- Making verifications in order to ensure the conformity of the declared expenditures to the related rules; in order to assure the delivery of products and services in accordance with the approval decision and in order to check on the conformity of the payment requests made by the final beneficiaries,
- Reporting irregularities,
- Assuring conformity to promotion and visibility requirements
- Ensuring that the accreditation criteria are met, following the conferral of management made by the Commission,
- Preparing the activity reports of the units.
- Distribution of our staff by gender*
- Distribution of our staff by age group*
- Distribution of our staff by educational level*
- Distribution of our staff by bachelors degree*
- Distribution of our staff by experience in fund management*
- Distribution of our staff by period of service in the goverment**
- Distribution of our staff by unit***
- Distribution of our staff by cadre*
*EUID expert staff statistics as of January 2019 is given, administrative staff is not included.
**As of 06.12.2019, the period of office information of the personnel has been taken from PERBIS system.
***We have five temporary staff.
Tasks And Responsibilities On The Basis of Units:
PROGRAMMING, MONITORING AND EVALUATION UNIT
- Preparing, monitoring and evaluating the Transport (Sector) Operational Programme,
- Identifying the project selection criteria and selecting the projects that are adequate to the Programme content,
- Conducting the preparatory works of the Sectoral Monitoring Committee,
- Preparing the “Annual Work Plans” and “Annual Implementation Reports”,
- Preparing and submitting the ''Sectoral Annual and Final Implementation Reports”,
- Coordinating the final activities of the programme,
- Preparing and revising the procurement plan,
- Preparing the invitations for the preliminary qualification phase and the tendering phase and submitting them for the preliminary approval of the EU Delegation,
- Preparing the tender dossier and submitting it for the preliminary approval of the EU Delegation,
- Designating members of the Tender Evaluation Committee and managing the evaluation process,
- Preparing tender evaluation reports and submitting them for the preliminary approval of the EU Delegation,
- Participating in the preparation of tender documents,
- Informing the companies that secured the tender, and those that did not,
- Preparing the contract and having it signed.
CONTRACT MANAGEMENT UNIT
- Ensuring coordination between our Ministry, the Beneficiary Institution, the Contractor, the Supervisor and the EU Delegation during the implementation of contracts,
- Participating in reunions related to projects (Quarterly Steering Committee, monthly progress reunion, etc.),
- Conducting approval processes in the framework of the contract (expert approvals, time sheets, approvals concerning weekend work, etc.),
- Preparing the annual visit plan, implementing it and preparing reports,
- Contributing to the preparation of the payment estimates by the Financial Management Unit,
- Evaluating and coordinating the claims,
- Conducting the risk assessment works at the project level,
- Preparing addenda and submitting them for approval.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT UNIT
- Preparing the Fund Absorption Plans,
- Examining the progress payment requests and realising the payments,
- Making the Fund requests from the National Fund (NF),
- Preparing the Expenditure Declaration and submitting it to the National Authorising Officer (NAO),
- Preparing the monthly Financial Reports and submitting them to the National Authorising Officer (NAO),
- Keeping the accounting records with regards to the realised payments,
- Preparing the Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Accounting Reports and submitting them to the National Fund,
- Evaluating and coordinating the claims.
QUALITY ASSURANCE AND CONTROL UNIT
- Managing the accreditation process,
- Realising risk management activities,
- Keeping records of eliminated projects and reporting them,
- Reporting irregularities through the officer responsible,
- Coordinating the preparation and revision of the Programme Implementation Guidance,
- Making the quality controls for the OIS and MPAF documents,
- Making quality control for tender documents,
- Making quality control for contract addenda,
- Preparing and coordinating the Annual Assurance Statement,
- Coordinating and following-up audit activities between units,
- Preparing monthly activity reports.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE AND HUMAN RESOURCE
- Carrying out human resources activities of the unit,
- Preparation of Operation Identification Sheets and Terms of Reference documents regarding the activities which are stated in the Action 5 Technical Assistance of Sectoral Operational Programme and coordinating and monitoring these projects,
- Managing the publicity activities of the Programme and social media accounts, preparation, revision and implementation of Communication Action Plan,
- Management of Direct Expenditure Plan under Technical Assistance Action 5 of SOPT.